Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wild Bird Wednesday: White-breasted Woodswallow

Over 2 weeks ago, I had knee surgery. And if that wasn't enough to deal with, I was diagnosed with a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in my calf on Monday. I am now on a minimum of 3 months anticoagulant treatment.
I was due to have much needed shoulder surgery on the 19th September but due to the DVT, my shoulder surgery has been postponed until I have been given the all clear.

Due to this, I have barely picked up my camera in almost 3 weeks. On Sunday, Michael took me for a drive up to the Sunshine Coast to visit friends. I took my camera, just in case I had to opportunity to photograph something which didn't involve my usual walking on the sand, rocks or similar.

I was rapt when I saw a few birds I'd never come across before on a power line right beside where we parked the car.


These 2 were very affectionate...



The White-breasted Woodswallow is a medium-sized bird with a dark grey head and neck. It has dark blue-grey upperparts, tail and wings, white white underparts and underwings.
They are found in eucalypt forests and woodlands, usually close to water, and in mangroves.

These White-breasted Woodswallows were found on a suburban street, near the beach.

And then there were 3...



Joining in with Stewart's meme:

13 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I've not seen these swallows before - they do look affectionate. I hope you body continues to heal well.

Carole M. said...

how lovely to see them so close as you did; they're a beautiful looking bird. Best wishes ..

Joop Zand said...

THIS IS SO WONDERFUL LIZ..... compliments for this lovely serie..... i like the contrast colors to.

Greetings, Joop

Unknown said...

Hey Liz!
Finally got around to clicking that link!
Love these guys and the way they line up!
I'm pleased they gave you a little distraction from your ordeals!
Enjoyed the post
Pete (IG)

CabinGirl said...

Love their markings!

TexWisGirl said...

they are gorgeous. i am SO sorry about the DVT!!! scary!

mick said...

Great photos - I love the way those birds always seem to snuggle up together when they roost. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Neil said...

Beautiful series. Get better soon.

eileeninmd said...

Now, they are different looking swallows. They look cute sitting close snuggling. Great photos!

betty-NZ said...

Aren't they just adorable. They look like they'd be so soft to touch.

Unknown said...

Fabulous shots of the sweet swallows! I hope your knee heals well.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots!

Stewart M said...

Wonderful shots - I always like watching Wood Swallows - and I do that because I never get any pictures!

Welcome back!!!

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...