Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday: Common Blackbird

While holidaying on Melbourne's Mornington Peninsula over the Christmas/New Year period, we had some regular visitors to my parent's yard; a bird we don't see up in sub-tropical Queensland.

The Common Blackbird was introduced to Melbourne, Australia in the 1850s. The male is the 'black' bird, with deep orange to yellow bill, a narrow yellow eye-ring and dark legs.



The female is a brown bird, with some streaks or mottling, and has a dark bill and legs. Immature birds are similar to the female with lighter underparts.





The Common Blackbird, was originally confined to Melbourne and Adelaide, but has gradually expanded its range throughout south-eastern Australia, both on the coast and inland, as far north as Sydney, and including Tasmania and the Bass Strait islands.

It is most often found in urban areas and surrounding localities, but has successfully moved into bushland habitats. It is often seen in orchards, vineyards and gardens, as well as along roadsides and in parks.



Linking with Stewart's meme:

            

14 comments:

Noke said...

Schöne Bilder im Blog und auch von der Amsel.

Gruß
Noke

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Lovely bird.

TexWisGirl said...

i think the european blackbirds are beautiful things!

LOLfromPasa said...

I love it when the black birds visit our garden. Bet you do too.

Brian King said...

I've always liked "your" blackbirds with the yellow beaks and eye rings!

Unknown said...

We have lots of black bird here, but they do not look quite like these. Ours are much larger, and have a more "fierce" look to them. These are adorable, Liz. I especially like the little female. xo.

Tony McGurk said...

We get lots of Blackbirds here in Launceston & they often nest in the eaves of our roof in Spring. We regularly hear their babies chirping up there. I think the males are especially beautiful.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I am noticing this ywar that there are more Blackbirds in my garden.Yesteday I had 6 all at one time. Lovely shots

Helen said...

Lovely captures. At present I have quite a large number of blue wrens in the shrubs, near where I work on my computer. I can hear them singing merrily as they flit about. Eventually I find it impossible to stop myself taking the camera out, to yet again be frustrated with them, for never sitting still long enough for me to click a shot. There seems to be 1 male to 6 or 7 females, so he is rarely seen.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think this balackbird is much nicer looking than the blackbirds we have in North America!

Pauline said...

It's nice to see a regular visitor to my garden over visiting yours. You captured him beautifully.

Stewart M said...

This birds move commercial volumes of mulch out of my garden beds most days - I could live without it!

Reading you most recent post, all I can say is that I hope you find a way through.

Cheers - Stewart M - (finally back in) Melbourne

Michael S-B said...

Very informative post, with delightful pictures xoxoxo

Bob Bushell said...

A bird that looks a bit likely to blackbird, oh, it is............... Again, fabulous series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...